Saturday, July 31, 2010

The lunartrek 100k report



It was a awesome race in Scandia, Ks on July 23. I took off with a friend that I conned into doing it because he's done the runs last year and up to now to do it. I left at 12 to get there a little after 4 to check out the course to see what I looking at and OMG. The course was going to be a challenge the north south parts would be flat or small mole hill types. Though the east and west were going to be the test for the 100k people. I got there and we had 8 people registered for the 100k. That is all we would get for runners for that race. Still I new 4 of the other 8 in the race which was pretty nice. I knew I could pull off 4th or 5th from knowing the other people and talking to the others. It came to be 9 pm an when you think you have everything you can bet you forgot something. Like the garmin that you fretted about and had to call tech support about and the tylonal you just had to go buy before that store closed and there's no time to go get them. There was the word go and just as expected everyone took off on a jog. Around the school and down the street there were 4 that took off. I thought it was way to early for that and kept at a slow steady speed with no need to get in a rush there were 61 more miles to go.
4 of them took off and were not to be seen. I an 3 others had run together for about 10 miles an one pealed off an where he got his name nature break and a little later talking the one I was dialing back got the name speedy. Then Gary Henry of ultrastory.com dropped back with the one we lost before, where he was not to be seen again either.
Now it is only I an Chris for the rest of the first an second loop. We did though catch one of the 4 that took off which we were 4rd and 5th. Little did we know we were 3rd and 4th. We found that one dropped on the 1st 20 miles. Then coming in on 40 we found one guy that just about DNF'd
ahead of us. But I told him to get up your running with us your not quitting on us. Were just finishing I just told him. This was just before daylight and made 40 miles in 7:45 how that was possible I never know. On the 3rd loop I thought we were going to be a rag tag team just getting to the finish line. We did very well though when at 1/3 of the way we realized we could possibly come in under 13 hrs. We pushed the pace as much as we could and the rolling aid station caught up with us 2 or 3 times. Then the last short straight away and a possible under 12:30 time we figured coming to were the last aid station was. Norman told me to take off because I could make the under 12:30 I said alright so it put me in second, Norman could have taken me but instead brought in Chris. Which all in the end I should have stayed back as they came in 2 minutes later under 12 an a half. There was breakfast after the shower at the school eggs ham watermelon an cantaloupe. It was great time an nice to be able to finish a 100k and get a pr of 12:21. Would do it again a small nice race almost in the middle of nowhere supporting the Pike valley X-country team.

No comments: